An engagement shoot is something I always try to encourage, but not something every couple goes for? Why do I encourage them I hear you ask? Well that’s what this post is all about! A million and one reasons to have an engagement photo shoot! (Okay.. I haven’t got the time to write that many, but its a great selection!)
When you other half (Or yourself!) gets down on one knee it is an absolutely magical and precious moment, sometimes you’re luckily enough to capture on camera, but that isn’t always a must! Although not long after then you both start a whirlwind adventure of starting to plan your wedding!
However, one part of the planning that seems to get missed out more often than not is the Engagement photo shoot, a lot of couples ask me, whats the point behind them? Well.. Here is a few which I think are very relevant, hopefully make them much clearer for you, and realise, everyone needs a pre-wedding photo shoot!
- Getting photos of you both up to the run of the wedding will become harder and harder the closer you get. I’m sure you will quickly realise that now you have a whole wedding to plan, there isn’t enough hours in the day! And that only becomes more apparent as the months go on, So booking a photo shoot early on in the engagement is usually when you will have the most time! This way, Your photographer can help to capture the excitement and intimacy between you both, as you can guarantee the main topic of the shoot will be of your big day, so the excitement will be very apparent!
- Another reason to have an Engagement shoot? It’s a fabulous Ice-breaker between you both and the photographer! more often than not, couples absolutely hate having their photo taken, and can’t think of anything worse, but they need a photographer to capture the day! So having a pre-wedding shoot is the perfect way to get those initial photo jitters out of the way before, so on the day you can concentrate solely on just you, and you are instantly more relaxed in front of the camera as you have already experienced it!
- It’s a great opportunity for you all to get creative! Is there something you want to try out for the wedding? Let the photographer know! He/she can test out the poses/lighting and see what the end result for the big day will be, so there is less stress on the day incase something doesn’t work out. Also if you have a crazy size, let it out! Go do cart wheels, run hope and skip down the path together, bake a cake together! go on a ferris wheel! go on the kids park and act like teenagers madly in love again!
- As well as getting creative, it’s always important to make sure the location is important to the both of you. Why not go back to where you had your first date? Maybe where you had your first smooch? how about where he/you proposed would be a great idea! Or if none of those take your fancy why not just a memorable date you both went on to the cinema? Or if you’ve both been together since school, go revisit that school and have pictures taken out of school hours! go back to where it all began!
- Another great excuse for having an engagement photo shoot is that it can kill 2 birds with one stone! Once you have received the images from your photographer you can then use the images for your wedding. Get them on the save the dates! , use them as a wedding slide show, pop them on the tables for the wedding breakfast, base your table plan on them? Put a couple on the wedding program for the ceremony? maybe one on the front of the guest book? That way, no one can ever forget what you both look like! (I’m writing this from my own terms, but I’m sure 99% of photographers will be happy for this!)
- As well as getting the initial jitters out-of-the-way its a great way to build self-confidence! The main problem that couples have again, is the fear of the unknown as they haven’t/or rarely have their photo taken, So they get scared of looking ugly, or photographing on your ‘ugly’ side (Hoping it’s not just me who has that, right?!) however a good experienced photographer will look out for all of this, and make sure you look 110% gorgeous in every photo, as, that’s our job after all!
- Once you have the photo shoot booked, try to get your hair and makeup trials booked before too, then you have a proper dry run going! ( Minus the wedding dress.. but can’t let the other half see that!) that way you can see how it photographs as a whole, and if something is bulging out in the hair, or the eyes are looking bit too heavy, least you can see it before the day and let them know!
- As well as you getting to know your photographer, it’s also a great way for the photographer to get to know you. You may not realise it until the day, but the photographer will be the person you see the most throughout the day, from bridal prep till the last dance, so make them a friend not a stranger! Strengthen the relationship and you will get much stronger photos
- And finally, and the best till last, it’s just a perfect excuse to get stressed up! most of us work 9-5 jobs so getting your favourite dress or outfit on just becomes a rarity, so get it on ad feel amazing!
Hope that helps on why engagement shoots are a must! If you have any more questions than just feel free to fire away at me at: firstname.lastname@example.org and i would be more than happy to help!